Lester Holt’s New Chapter: A Farewell to NBC Nightly News and a Bold Move to Dateline NBC
It’s been one month since viewers last saw Lester Holt anchoring NBC Nightly News, and the iconic journalist has been keeping busy in his new role. Holt’s departure from the primetime news program came as a surprise to fans earlier this year, leaving many wondering what his next move would be.
Holt’s Emotional Farewell and Transition to Dateline NBC
Holt announced his decision to step away from NBC Nightly News in a heartfelt statement on February 24. After more than 17 years with NBC News, including a decade-long run as the anchor of Nightly News, Holt expressed his gratitude to viewers:
“After 10 years, 17 if you include my years on the weekends, the time has come for me to step away from my role as anchor of Nightly News. It has truly been the honor of a lifetime to work with each of you every day, keeping journalism as our true north and our viewers at the center of everything we do.”
Holt revealed that while he was stepping down from his anchor duties on Nightly News, he would be continuing his work on Dateline NBC, where he has been the principal anchor since 2011. This time, however, Holt would take on a full-time role, expanding his involvement in crafting Dateline hours on topics that are deeply important to him. “I’m excited to report I will be continuing as anchor of Dateline NBC, but for the first time in a full-time capacity whereby I will be expanding my footprint on the broadcast and crafting Dateline hours on subjects I care deeply about,” Holt shared.
A New Era for NBC Nightly News with Tom Llamas
On June 2, Tom Llamas made his debut as the new lead anchor of NBC Nightly News, succeeding Holt. While the transition marks a new era for the program, Holt’s emotional farewell on May 30 left a lasting impact on both his colleagues and viewers.
“To my dear friends and colleagues, thank you,” Holt said, his voice filled with emotion. “As anchor, it has been an honor to lead this program and an honor to be welcomed into your homes. Facts matter, words matter, journalism matters, and you matter.” Holt was joined by his wife, Carol Hagen, and sons, Stefan and Cameron Holt, for the farewell segment, where they shared hugs and exchanged heartfelt words as Holt signed off for the last time on Nightly News.
Holt’s New Role in Long-Form Journalism
After his departure from Nightly News, Holt expressed his excitement about his expanded role on Dateline NBC. “Long-form is something I really wanted to get into. It’s a different set of news muscles,” Holt told Today hosts Savannah Guthrie and Craig Melvin. He noted that his decision to pivot was fueled by his own personal reflection: “You hit a certain age and you start kind of thinking, ‘What’s the back part of my career gonna look like?’ And I’ve been having that conversation with myself and those close to me for a couple of years now. But the timing just seemed right.”
More Time for Family and Passions
Beyond his professional transition, Holt is looking forward to more time to focus on his passions, such as playing the bass guitar and upright bass. Melvin also pointed out that Holt will now have more opportunities to spend quality time with his three grandchildren, ages 7, 5, and 3, noting that Holt is excited to embrace this next chapter with his family by his side.
The Legacy of Lester Holt
Lester Holt’s legacy at NBC Nightly News is one of dedication, integrity, and trust. During his tenure, Holt became one of the most respected figures in broadcast journalism, anchoring the network’s flagship news program through some of the most defining moments in modern history. His commitment to journalistic excellence earned him not only an extensive fanbase but also the admiration of his colleagues.
As Holt transitions to his full-time role on Dateline NBC, his departure from Nightly News leaves a void that will be difficult to fill. However, his decision to focus on long-form investigative journalism is a natural evolution of his career, one that will likely resonate with audiences who have followed him for years. Holt’s return to his passion for Dateline will allow him to explore deeper, more complex stories that continue to captivate viewers.
While NBC Nightly News moves forward under Tom Llamas, Holt’s impact on the program and the world of journalism at large will remain felt. The transition to a new chapter in Holt’s life is an exciting one, not just for him but for those of us who have had the privilege of watching his remarkable career unfold.
As he embarks on this new phase, Holt’s legacy continues to inspire journalists, fans, and viewers who will always hold his work at NBC Nightly News in the highest regard. The future looks bright for this veteran broadcaster, as he shifts gears in his professional journey while embracing the joys of family and personal passions.
News
Jasmiпe Crockett’s Selfless Act of Compassioп: Doпatiпg $12.9 Millioп to Texas Flood Relief, With No Cameras, No Headliпes – Jυst a Heart to Help
Jasmine Crockett’s Selfless Act of Compassion: Donating $12.9 Million to Texas Flood Relief, With No Cameras, No Headlines – Just…
BREAKING NEWS: Nearly 3 Toпs of Food Traпsported by 6 Private Plaпes from Missoυri to Texas!
BREAKING NEWS: Nearly 3 Tons of Food Transported by 6 Private Planes from Missouri to Texas! The Jasmine Sign Appears…
Jasmiпe Crockett Shattered aпd iп Tears: The Heartbreakiпg Momeпt She Moυrпs Loss of Best Frieпd aпd Meпtor Richard ‘Dick’ Eastlaпd, Who Sacrificed His Life to Save Campers iп Texas Flood
BREAKING NEWS: Heartbroken Jasmine Crockett Μουrns Loss of Best Friend and Mentor Richard ‘Dick’ Eastland, Who Died Saving Campers in…
After Learning His Daughter Went Missing in the Texas Flood, Michael, a 40-Year-Old Father, Became the Face of Every Parent’s Nightmare — Until Jasmine Crockett Showed Up and Did ONE THING That Brought Hope to a Broken Heart.
BREAKING NEWS: After Learning His Daughter Went Missing in the Texas Flood, Michael, a 40-Year-Old Father, Became the Face of…
“‘RULES FOR MEN’ SHOCKS FOX NEWS AFTER JESSE WATTERS’ LATEST STATEMENT—IS THIS HIS BIGGEST MISTAKE?”
Jesse Watters’ “Rules for Men” on Photoshop Sparks Online Backlash Fox News host Jesse Watters is no stranger to stirring…
“TOM LLAMAS’ FIRST MONTH RATINGS ON NBC NIGHTLY NEWS SHOCK THE INDUSTRY—IS THIS THE END FOR DAVID MUIR?”
Tom Llamas’ First Month as NBC Nightly News Anchor: Ratings and Challenges Revealed After more than a month at the…
End of content
No more pages to load